- Opened in the fall of 2005 as an LEA Start-up charter school.
- Our focus is to help high schools students achieve success through an individualized program of study that included rigorous and relevant instruction in academic and career/technical courses, planned and structured work based learning opportunities, and a seamless transition to post-secondary education and the workforce.
- We have forged partnerships that have reinforced our mission “to develop a 21st century workforce through world-class Career, Technical, and Agricultural Education (CTAE).”
- Whitfield County Career Academy has changed its name to the Northwest Georgia College and Career Academy (NWGCCA) in an effort to focus on post-secondary transition, and establish a base that is more regional in nature.
- NWGCCA will work in partnership with Dalton State College, Georgia Northwestern Technical College, neighboring school systems, the Dalton-Whitfield Chamber of Commerce, and local and regional business and industry.
- By blending the rigor of high school curricula, the relevance of real work experiences, and the relationships forged between all stakeholders, students will be able to transition successfully and more rapidly to attain their professional goals.
- The opportunities NWGCCA will be able to provide students, beginning in middle school, continuing through high school and further into post-secondary, will assist them to pursue the knowledge and skills necessary for career readiness and success, and over time, provide a better quality of life for the people of Whitfield County, the northwest Georgia region and beyond.
IMPACT AND BENEFIT
Building on these previous accomplishments, NWGCCA will:
- Create an innovative curriculum that will focus on the integration of core academics and advanced career-technical education programs.
- With integrated learning and collaborative teaching, NWGCCA will strive to improve student achievement, create a stronger sense of affiliation and better prepare students for post-secondary and career choices.
- Create an innovative educational environment that identifies, encourages, and develops each student’s career interests and abilities.
- Help direct students to focus on their future and to help students apply academic and technical skills and abilities into career experiences.
- Along with the partnerships we will work to create a seamless transition to students’ desired post-secondary choices.
- Using the academic and CTAE knowledge and content, together with work readiness foundational skills, and on the job and/or career pathway experience, NWGCCA will work to link education with economic and workforce development to support the northwest Georgia region.
The success of NWGCCA success lies in the vision and guidance of its leadership, the commitment of the entire faculty, across all levels – middle school, high school, post-secondary – to collaborate and connect the content to real world problems and experiences, and the desire of its students to become the best educated and trained individual they can be. The impact and benefit of such a success on the region of northwest Georgia will be immeasurable and will create a stronger, more vibrant community in which to live.